Georgia Regents University
Georgia Regents University (GRU) is a public academic health center with its main campus located in Augusta, Georgia, United States. It one of the four research universities in the University System of Georgia (USG). GRU is composed of nine colleges: the College of Allied Health Sciences, College of Arts, Humanities, and Health Sciences, College of Dental Medicine, College of Education, College of Graduate Studies, College of Nursing, College of Science and Mathematics, the Hull College of Business, and the Medical College of Georgia. On January 8, 2012, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents approved the merger of Georgia Health Sciences University with Augusta State University. On August 7, 2012, the Georgia Board of Regents named the merged universities "Georgia Regents University". On October 25, 2012, the university added the city's name to the university name for marketing purposes, which is Georgia Regents University Augusta. In addition to the nine colleges, the university enterprise includes the 478-bed Georgia Regents Medical Center, the Children's Hospital of Georgia, outpatient clinics, classrooms, laboratories, residence halls, a student center, a wellness center and a medical education library. The entire complex has a full-time instructional faculty of 651, a volunteer clinical faculty of 1,795 and a staff of over 3,000, making it the second-largest employer in the region with an annual economic impact of $2 billion. The university receives over $99 million annually in total sponsored research funding. The university was chartered in 1828 by the state of Georgia as the Medical Academy of Georgia to offer a single course of lectures leading to a bachelor's degree. In December 1829, the Georgia General Assembly changed the name to the Medical Institute of Georgia, and again to the Medical College of Georgia in December 1833. The College of Nursing offered its first classes in the 1940s. In the 1960s, Master's and doctoral programs were added. The Colleges of Allied Health Scie ces, Dental Medicine and Graduate Studies were added in the next decade. The Medical College of Georgia is the 13th-oldest continuously operating medical school in the United States and the third-oldest in the Southeast. Recent facilities expansion includes the Cancer Research Building, opened in 2003; the Health Sciences Building in 2006; and a new dental school building in 2011. On Feb. 1, 2011, the schoolís name changed to Georgia Health Sciences University before consolidating with Augusta State University to become GRU. GRU offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees through its nine colleges. The College of Allied Health Sciences offers masterís degree programs in medical illustration; medical laboratory, imaging and radiologic sciences; dental hygiene; health informatics; occupational therapy; physician assistant; physical therapy; and public health. Bachelor of Science programs include medical laboratory, imaging and radiologic sciences; dental hygiene; health informatics; and respiratory therapy. Established in 1968, the college enrolled 516 students in fall 2011. The Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences includes 9 departments: Art, Communications and Professional Writing, English and Foreign Languages, History, Anthropology & Philosophy, Learning Support, Music, Nursing, Political Science, and Sociology, Criminal Justice and Social Work. Departments are primarily in Allgood Hall on the GRU Summerville campus. The James M. Hull College of Business is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), and has been since 1999. It was given its current name in 2006 after James M. Hull, who donated two million dollars to the college and university as a whole - the largest such gift in Augusta State school history. It offers undergraduate degrees in Accounting from the Knox School of Accountancy, Computer Science, Finance, Management, Marketing, and Management Information Systems (MIS), and an MBA program for graduate students.